Wednesday 5 October 2016

Task 1B: Professional Communication Technologies

When it comes to technology, I am a complete novice, instantly panicking and calling my younger brother (who is a complete whizz at technology) for help as soon as something goes wrong! It did worry me at first when I was enrolling onto the BAPP Course that it would be mostly all online... Since beginning the course I already feel that my skills have improved, from using Skype to writing a blog. Special thanks must go to the online help provided by Middlesex Uni especially the handbook on how to use Adobe Connect, which I finally managed to master when chatting to Paula last week.

Naturally, I received Reader 1 and had absolutely no idea what Web 2.0 was. I thought it was something I had to download or a programme I had to use in order to carry out my course studies. How wrong...

Web 2.0 is the current state of online technology in comparison to the early days of the internet. It is the second-generation of web-based communities including social networking sites like Facebook. It is the internet that we all know and use daily. Web 1.0 was a way of using one-way communications, but Web 2.0 lets the reader and creator interact. It allows users to collaborate and share information online.

Social media has a huge impact on the way we live (sad, I know) and I think it has very positive uses in my industry. There are many groups on Facebook which allow me to find out about auditions, up-coming opportunities and events in the industry. This can be useful if you haven't had many recent auditions or if you see a job that you know you are suited to. There are even a few sites on Facebook which give details of jobs for actors out of work, such as promo work or events employment, which is helpful in earning extra cash for a few hours work. I try to 'self-promote' on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and follow others within the industry, as I know how important it is to make contacts within the business. It is a great way of staying connected with others by posting updates, for example, if you've had an interesting job.

Social networking sites do have some negatives, however. Sometimes a casting director may go straight to your Facebook/Twitter page before even seeing you at audition, and if they do not like what they see, then there's a high chance that you won't be chosen to be seen. Casting directors have to know that they are working with a reliable and hard-working actor and if they see your social media full of partying every night, chances are they might not get the best impression. It is very easy to upload a lot of your personal data to social networking sites and you have to be careful with how much information you are willing to share. Uploading headshots can be great to get opinions from others about which is best to use, but you never know where your pictures are going to end up, and with a click of a button these pictures can easily be shared with anyone. This could also work in your favour if a director is casting a show and you are exactly what he had in mind.

I think I am very sensible when it comes to using social networking. I try not to be overly vocal about issues which could maybe provoke an argument or irritate others and I don't share too much of my personal information. I do think that as an actress I need to 'self-promote' a bit more and now that I am out of full-time training, I am going to make it my aim to continue to post as frequently as I can in order to keep my profile interesting!

Social media can be a great tool in the industry as long as we all play by the rules.

 







1 comment:

  1. Pros and cons good approach to evaluating how social media is now being seen - great for communication and social learning - but the downside is overexposure - and FOMO - http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/04/14/fomo-addiction-the-fear-of-missing-out/ - following others can be a 24/7 pursuit. I think artists/makers/performers are probably more careful that most inhabit this space. well. Interesting about 'the party' because social networking is often a part of the job e.g. photo opportunity. All of this also reminds me of the recent drone photos of Aiden turner - staged I hope or else we will all be looking up in future! http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/tantalising-glimpse-of-aidan-turner-during-filming-of-poldark-series-3-11364104930599

    ReplyDelete