Sunday 26 February 2017

Task 4B: Special Interest Groups

This week I was contacted by Eleanor through one of my blog posts and she invited me to join a SIG that she had set up. The SIG is regarding Performing Arts in Education. As I currently teach drama to children for 2 different companies 3 days a week, this is one area that I am very interested in researching for my inquiry. 

In my previous blogs, I have explained my views on the importance of teaching performing arts in schools. By joining this SIG, I hope to discuss this further and hear views from the other members.

This evening I have also joined another SIG that was created by Gonzalo which is regarding How to Develop Your Creativity. This SIG will be great for me to explore other ideas for my inquiry which are not related to education and this will allow me to keep my thinking quite open at this early stage.

Being part of a SIG will allow me to raise questions and issues that are relevant to my practise, reflect and discuss with others who are like-minded. Although it is still early days, SIGs seem like an extremely good idea and I'm sure it will be vital to my learning in this module. 

I have had quite a few other ideas for my inquiry but not all of them link to performing arts in education. Discussing my ideas with the members of both of the SIGs I am part of will help me to narrow down my options and decide which route I would like to take for my inquiry from the choices I stated in my previous blog for Task 4A.

I was unable to make the most recent Skype session with Paula due to work but I have read through the slides from the session on her blog. These have prevented me from getting bogged down with too many ideas. By writing down what I know and what I want to know has helped me so far and when discussing ideas with the other members of the SIGs I will be able to refer back to this to ensure I stay on track!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shanna, thank you very much for joining my SIG about creativity, it will be great to discuss our ideas through it. Are you planning to create your own SIG also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gonzalo - No problem, can't wait to discuss some ideas in the SIG! I am not planning on creating one at the moment as I am part of both yours and Eleanor's SIGs and that covers both my interests in education and also performing/creativity.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good Shannon - I just left this link on Lydia's blog https://rapidbi.com/action-learning-sets/ about action learning sets think I will write a blog about them

    ReplyDelete