Sunday 13 November 2016

Task 3B: Theories Relating to Networking

A professional network is "a work related community held together by either close working affiliation or more distant but common work interests or needs" (Reader 3, BAPP). Reader 3 is based on 'The Networked Professional' and the different ideas we can use to network. It discusses five theories of the professional network. It has taken a few days for each of the theories to sink in properly but I now feel that I fully understand each theory and how I could perhaps use each one in my professional practice. The five theories that create 'The Networked Professional' are Cooperation, Affiliation, Social Constructionism, Connectivism and Communities of Practice.

Cooperation
In order to make any progress when working with others or as part of a team, cooperation is essential. Reader 3 discusses how this theory is linked closely with the Game Theory, where one player succeeds at another player's expense. Robert Axelrod, who comes from the discipline of political science is one of the most significant researchers in this theory, "when should a person cooperate, and when should a person be selfish, in an ongoing interaction with another person?" (Axelrod, 1984). He discusses the importance of cooperation in a game theory and, in particular, the game Prisoner's Dilemma. It is a simplistic example which clearly shows the type of situation in which these problems become apparent. Axelrod continued to carry out investigations comparing theories submitted by game theorists such as psychologists, economists and mathematicians. The theory of 'TIT FOR TAT' was the easiest and also the most desirable. "TIT FOR TAT is merely the strategy of starting with cooperation, and thereafter doing what the other player did on the previous move" (Axelrod, 1984). In my professional work I could never ignore people after they had helped me with my career in any way. I find this behaviour very inconsiderate and out of order as it means using someone to get to where you want to be. I was brought up to always treat others the way you would want to be treated yourself, however, as I have grown older I have realised and seen first hand that sometimes others will take advantage of you if you are 'too nice', and that sticking up for yourself can make others respect you more as long as you go the right way about it and are not completely rude. I am going to make sure that I have the right balance between the two in my professional networking because for example I would not go to an open audition and let everyone go ahead of me in the queue, but I would respect people who were in line before me and wait my turn.

Affiliation
Affiliation is a social process, in the field of social psychology that gives us "a network of support that will help us when we are in need" (Crisp & Turner, 2007). Affiliation is an important theory in the performing industry and one that I try to use often. I have many contacts who have helped me in my professional life, no matter how small or large their input was and it is comforting to know that people are there for you if you need them and that they can rely on you too. Crisp & Turner explain the benefits and the need to "seek out others and form close relationships" (Crisp & Turner, 2007). I think that I use affiliation more than I realise because making friends along my career path is definitely a bonus. It is a tough industry to be in and knowing that I have friends and family who support me in all I do really helps. The main difference with affiliation and cooperation is that cooperation is definitely more professional and doesn't allow the networking to get too personal. Affiliation is an ongoing relationship which develops over time.

Social Constructionism
"Social constructionism is a one of a set of related explanations about how meanings about the world are made" (Reader 3, BAPP). This theory is based on social relationships, and by interacting with others and the world around us, we are able to construct our own opinions on certain situations depending on our experiences. We believe everything we are told as young children by our parents because we don't know any better, but as we grow older, we are able to make informed decisions and understand for ourselves because we are having to deal with these things on a daily basis. For example, on the first day of a big event like a course or a new job, we are always incredibly nervous (no matter how hard we try not to be) because you find yourself in surroundings that are completely new and alien to you. But after attending the job or course for a few weeks you will have adapted and feel like you belong to this network and group of people a bit more. This theory will be useful in my industry as I think a lot of my work is about making a decision or forming an opinion on something for yourself and not just believing or agreeing with someone else because you are too scared to be different.

Connectivism
When first studying Reader 3 and reading about the theory of Connectivism, I instantly thought about what I had learnt throughout the tasks at the beginning of the Module which were related to Web 2.0. This theory believes that Web 2.0 is altering our brains and that traditional ideas about learning, for example, a teacher transferring their knowledge to a student, needs to be changed. The theory discusses how we interact through networks and suggests that Web 2.0 contains all of the information we need. I am currently using this theory throughout the BAPP course as we have to write a blog to supplement our learning. Writing this blog has helped my learning in a way that I would never have thought of before starting the course. Web 2.0 is always expanding and this theory provides a clear explanation about how networks give individuals a chance to connect with others and learn within that particular network. This theory allows me to improve my skills within Web 2.0 and my networking overall because learning is "a persisting change in human performance or performance potential" (Driscoll, 2000).

Communities of Practise
This theory explains how we learn by engaging in social relationships. We all have our own circles of contacts within our professional practice and each of these groups "produce learning realised in different forms" (Reader 3, BAPP). The relationships in this type of network stay strong because they are created and developed through social interaction, life communities and mutual interests such as performing groups. Whilst training at college I made friends who may in future turn into work colleagues. In all of these groups, members share a similar passion and love for their art. "The social structure of this practice, its power relations, and its conditions for legitimacy define possibilities for learning" (Lave & Wenger, 1991). I think this theory is relevant to my professional practice because the industry is a very social place and in turn this theory has a huge social aspect, allowing us to form circles of contacts within our networks. This is much different to the Connectivism theory where all of the networking is done online and by using Web 2.0 which does not allow for any face to face networking. Most of my networking at present is done by using Web 2.0, but after studying this theory I now understand the importance of exploring my circles of contacts and communities of practice.

Having read through Reader 3 again you need to, with theories such as Connectivism, ensure that you do not merge personal and professional work when using Web 2.0 to network. You must ensure that you consider exactly what you are writing online and how writing or making comments which are slanderous towards a person or company could affect your image in the future. Social media can be great for networking if used in the correct way.

The theories in Reader 3 allow me to think about how the theories could help or affect my networking in the future. The theories have made me more aware about how I currently network within the industry and what steps or theories I could take to improve my networking skills and become a better networking professional within the arts. I now have more understanding of all of the theories and this will definitely help me to develop my success within networking.


Reference List


  • Reader 3 - BAPP, Middlesex University
  • "The Evolution of Cooperation"; R, Axelrod; 1984.
  • "Essential Social Psychology"; R J Crisp & R N Turner; 2007.
  • "Connectivisim: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age"; G Siemens; 2004.
  • "Legitimate Peripheral Participation in Communities in Practise"; J Lave & E Wenger; 1991.


No comments:

Post a Comment